Monday, January 18, 2010

You Find Out Who Your Friends Are

Friends. Life wouldn't be nearly as rich or beautiful without them. I have had many friends through the years that have added color and depth to different seasons of my life. I love friends.

But friends can also be frustrating. They can be confusing. Sometimes they can even cause heartbreak.

When I was a student, one of my least favorite things was having to find out who my friends really were. I couldn't stand hanging out with someone all weekend, laughing and having the time of our lives, and then being flat out ignored or treated with cool disdain when I approached them with a hello and a smile at school.

It was like, do you not remember how much fun we just had? Do you not recall how we stayed up all night at that sleepover watching movies, laughing our heads off, and sharing secrets? And now today in the hallowed halls of this institution in front of your other friends, I am suddenly not cool enough for you?

Frustrating. Confusing. Heartbreaking.

Hmm, maybe I should have added annoying to the list...

At any rate, there are times that we think we have found a true friend, only to find out they are not really a true friend, just a mere acquaintance that we will occasionally have fun with when there is no one "better" for them to hang out with. A true reality of life that is a bummer indeed.

Some of you are reading this while thinking um, this just happened to me last week...yesterday....this morning.

For those of you in that scenario I have absolutely fabulous news for you. There is a friend available to you that will be constant, true, loyal, and loving to you on your best and worst days. He doesn't care if your outfit just isn't working, your darling personality seems to have taken a vacation, or for some reason you are just not registering on the cool monitor that you feel daily critiqued by. He loves you for who you are, and for who he wants you to become.

His name is Jesus. And in the Bible , John 15:14-15 to be exact, He says 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.

It has always blown me away that Jesus desires to be my friend. After all, he is God. He could just want me to be his daughter, worshiper, and follower. And while he does want me to be those things, beyond that he desires a friendship with me. And while I've been blessed to have some good friends through the years, there has never been a friend who has stuck by me like Jesus.

One of my favorite hymns says...

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

("What a Friend We Have in Jesus" by Joseph Scriven, Charles Converse)

One of my favorites worship songs says...

Is it true that you are thinking of me?
How you love me....It's amazing!
I am a friend of God, I am a friend of God,
I am a friend of God, He calls me friend!

("I Am a Friend of God" by Israel Houghton)

And one of my favorite verses says...

"There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends (John 15:13)." And that's exactly what our God and friend Jesus did for us.

Embrace the friendship Jesus offers today. Honor him and do what he commands. Let him wrap you in his love, consistency, and true concern for your future and well-being.

And go out there and be a true friend to others around you, just like Jesus!








No comments: