Saturday, June 26, 2010

When You're a Celebrity...

I have had a ton of things on my mind to share with you girls lately...and have been almost overwhelmed to know where to start!


One thing that keeps coming to mind and concerning me is the ever-growing obsession with celebrities in our culture.  It's been bad for awhile, and it seems to be getting worse. 


I am not against celebrities - many of them are incredibly talented, well educated, strikingly beautiful, well dressed, and some do great things for honorable charities.  I understand why people admire them.


But...sadly, some of the celebrities that I see teenagers (and adults) not just admiring, but even obsessing over, are not who I would consider great role models.  Many are completely lacking in morals; many have serious and sad addictions and are in and out of rehab; most have severe relationship troubles; a lot put material things over their family and other important things; many are so self-obsessed they can no longer handle reality; and lots of them waste their fame and fortune on ridiculous, self-destructive things.


The Brad Paisley song "Celebrity" is hilarious, but it is also very true to life.  For most celebrities, it's "adios reality" and they do "act just like a fool."  


I honestly find it all sad.  And I feel for celebrities in this culture as they are constantly stalked by paparazzi, have little to no privacy, and are so elevated that it is beyond difficult for them to remain grounded and keep a sense of reality.  I often hurt for them when I see gossip slathered across the covers of magazines as I know they are real people with very real hurts....and very big cover-ups to hide their pain.


Here's the bottom line.  Be careful who you idolize.  Be careful who you obsess over.  Be careful who you look to as a role model.  Some of the people you think have it all together are virtually falling apart.  Life is more than desperate attempts for physical perfection and the pursuit of fame and fortune.


There is so much more to life!  And you might find a terrific role model in a mom, grandmother, coach, teacher, older sister, cancer survivor, youth leader, or good friend.


So while understandably you might admire certain qualities in the celebrities you see, find someone personal and honorable to imitate.  Seek inner beauty first, and strength of heart, mind, soul, and character.  Those are the important, real aspects of life. Those are the traits that will make you a "genuine girl."


Keep in mind that when you're a celebrity, things are not always as they seem.


And if anyone has a terrific role model in their life that they would like to share about, let me know!  I'd love to hear about the wonderful women you are looking up to!


Much love,


Jennifer

No comments: